Welcome to OpenBuilds Community

Signup today and join in on the fun!

About Motor Control

Discussion in 'Motors' started by kreaturen, Feb 22, 2014.

1. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

you need to look into vibration damping the mechanics.
    http://solsylva.com/cnc/dampers.shtml

then you need to go straight to microstepping. there are chips for this so don't reinvent the wheel here. look up Polulo and Easy Driver products.

stepper motors are rated at say 5V at 2amps, but because they are inductive the rise time is limited by the low voltage, this limits step rate. so it is common to run that much higher voltage, 20 to 70, while limiting the current to the rated current. limiting can be done simply with a resistor (high wattage eh, calculate it!), or more fancy with chopper control which is what the many driver chips will do, and combine that with microstepping.
  2. kreaturen

kreaturen New Builder

Hey, thank you for those tips. I have been a bit preoccupied with other things lately, but will definitely look into those things. Very interesting, thanks again :)
  3. Robert Hummel

Robert Hummel Custom Builder Staff Member Builder

To limit your current you can supply your driver using a constant current LM317 circuit google it and enough info will pop up
    You can also look through my laser v build and the same info is there
  4. kreaturen

kreaturen New Builder

Thank you as well. I'll be sure to check out that solution too. I'm sorry for the lack of progress on my part though. It's just that my team have had to focus our attention on other aspects of the project for a while and decided to pick up the power situation and current control again a bit later. The lab PSU does the trick for the time being. I've gotten quite a few tips from you guys though, so I'm sure I'll figure out what parts I need to order in order to solve this issue.