Welcome to OpenBuilds Community

Signup today and join in on the fun!

How do you interface the stepper contollers?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Blackkrystal73, Feb 10, 2014.

1. The Dude

The Dude Veteran Builder

2. The Dude

The Dude Veteran Builder

You have to factor in the costs of the following:
    1. Reverse-engineering the board
    2. Replacing the fake Chinese components with OEM parts
    3. Redesigning the board to correct the faulty design made by the Chinese EE with a fake degree
    4. Fried parts as a result of 1-3
    5. The time of everyone who helped you do 1-3
    6. A soldering station, solder, flux, multimeter, etc
    I can probably make the single-axis board myself for less than $20 in components and less time than troubleshooting+fixing a cheap Chinese board. This isn't my preferred activity but has become necessary due to the high price-points set by others on the one hand, and shoddy workmanship by the others for a low price on the other hand. I already tried downloading somebody's instructable DIY controller and wasted a lot of time and money on it only to discover that it won't work with my motors and needs lots of improvement. I've already lost a lot of time and money on this and am to the point where I realize the only way I'm going to get where I need to be is to do it myself. I can't keep spending money to try things and then find they have problems. I can't afford $300 for $50 in electronics either. I can't afford to be locked into a product that will go away in 6 months or has obsolescence designed into it. lol
  3. The Dude

The Dude Veteran Builder

Anyway, I think Robert's single-axis board would be most useful to me because I already have the TB6560 chips which are awesome if setup right. I have 4 of them and then in the future I could make a fifth with the 6600 or something even better. I can recycle my parallel port connector off my board and the optocouplers to make a breakout board that is properly isolated and can be later upgraded to ethernet. C'mon, who's with me? haha
  4. Robert Hummel

Robert Hummel Custom Builder Staff Member Builder

The 6549 IC only controls 1 phase of the motor so you would need two IC's per motor putting cost above the 6600.
    As for the second IC I have no idea but I'm not much of a smd guy "yet"
  5. Robert Hummel

I have the single sided PCB layout in PDF I just need to find it.
    Most successful way of making the board is positive photo resist.
    The most important thing with the 6560 chip is power up, 5vdc first then motor power.
    If you want to try salvaging your board let me know and I will send ya the PDF or you can try designing your own following this drawing
    http://www.cuteminds.com/index.php/en/tb6560ahq
  6. The Dude

The Dude Veteran Builder

Yes please do send it. I had read about the power up sequence and it would save me a great deal of time to start with a board that "just works". Right now I'm rolling the dice every time I start my machine :(
  7. Robert Hummel

Everything you need info wise is here
    along with the PDF
    http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?13,141250
    I'm on my way home now but everything is there
    I think there is even a millable one available :)