Welcome to OpenBuilds Community

Signup today and join in on the fun!

Mini lathe CNC Conversion - Work in progress

Discussion in 'CNC Lathes' started by Justinat, May 27, 2014.

1. Justinat

Justinat New Builder

2. bobt

bobt Journeyman Builder

OK justinat what is the base machine (MFG, Model and such) because it look alot like an older SIEG C3. I was just wondering what changes might have to be done to convert one of the standard mini lathes such as this.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe some small changes will make it useful.

Bob
  3. Justinat

Justinat New Builder

Its a Clarke 12in bed. Basically the same as your pic there are a bunch of companies that brand these lathes. Mine was purchased a few years ago from tractor supply.

I started off with a 1605 ball screw and mounts ( got them from automation technology but they are available from a bunch of sources ) for the carriage

The cross slide was a little more challenging as a small ballscrew setup is pricey so I decided to go with acme lead screw single start 3/8 righthand( From McMaster ) and a Delran zero backlash Nut ( From Dumpster CNC ) - At this stage I'm still working out the bearing setup for the Leadscrew

The electronics I went with a Gecko G540 and 381 oz stepper motors a index pulse board and Variable speed control ( From cnc4pc.com )

my goal is to have a machine that's capable of making small parts and treading.

the one down side I see with these machines is they were never intended to be more than a hobbyists machine and stock they have a very rough build quality. I had this one sitting around so I thought it would be a good learning experience.

Attached Files: