Welcome to OpenBuilds Community

Signup today and join in on the fun!

Producing 3D relief's for free.

Discussion in 'Other Software' started by Tweakie, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

Mach1 Filter.exe.

Mach1 Filter is a little known and often overlooked, free, stand-alone, Windows based application which can be used to create the necessary GCode tool-path for producing Lithophanes, 3D Relief’s and also laser, raster scan images etc.

It was written a few years ago and is pretty basic (without all the bells and whistles often found in more up-to-date software) but it still does a good job, and can accept HPGL, JPG & BMP format images.

As with most software, to obtain the best results, a little practice is required to judge the correct brightness / contrast / sharpness for the original image but it is quickly mastered and for those wishing to try, it can be downloaded from here Mach1Filter

This is just an example of a 3D relief reproduction working from a JPG depth-map image.

g1.jpg g0.jpg g2.jpg g4.jpg

Tweakie.
    kram242 likes this.
  2. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran Builder

@Tweakie, what type of machine is the g-code good for? A router type, laser type or maybe impact machine like you showed on the Phlat forum? I know you've mentioned above laser.
  3. Tweakie

Hi Justin Time,

It’s probably best suited for router use.

However, it can create the GCode for raster scan reproduction of DXF’s with a laser simply by using the machine’s Z axis direction pin as the laser trigger (small change to ports & pins configuration if using Mach3).

I am not sure if it can produce anything useful for use with an impact magnet tool – perhaps one day I will give it a try.

Tweakie.
    JustinTime likes this.
  4. kram242

kram242 OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

Nice find @Tweakie Thanks for the share
  5. The Dude

The Dude Veteran Builder

FYI Linuxcnc does this out of the box.
  6. Tweakie

@The Dude

Perhaps you would be kind enough to qualify that statement because obviously you have not actually tried to produce a 3D relief from an image just by using LinuxCNC.

I may be wrong but it is my understanding that LinuxCNC is a software system for computer control of machines and provides…
      • several graphical user interfaces including one for touch screens
      • an interpreter for "GCode" (the RS-274 machine tool programming language)
      • a realtime motion planning system with look-ahead
      • operation of low-level machine electronics such as sensors and motor drives
      • an easy to use "breadboard" layer for quickly creating a unique configuration for your machine
      • a software PLC programmable with ladder diagrams
      • easy installation with .deb packages or a Live-CD
    It does not provide drawing (CAD - Computer Aided Design) or G-code generation from the drawing (CAM - Computer Automated Manufacturing) functions.

Tweakie.
  7. The Dude

The Dude Veteran Builder

http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gui/image-to-gcode.html
  8. Tweakie

That told me then. :D

Tweakie.
  9. Mooselake

Mooselake New Builder

There's a windows port of LinuxCNC's image to gcode over on SkorchWorks. I haven't managed to try it yet, but their other products have worked great.

Kirk