Welcome to OpenBuilds Community

Signup today and join in on the fun!

Seeking Control Board for 3 Stepper Motors

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Korsakov, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Korsakov

Korsakov New Builder

Could please anybody help to direct us to a suitable control board that allows to control three (3) stepper motors and can preferably be controlled remotely? Stepper motors are currently not in stock on the Openbuilds site. Where would be a good source that is selling a reliable brand? Thank you in advance!
  2. Korsakov

Korsakov New Builder

We are completely open, Arduino/PC? Thank you!
  3. kram242

kram242 OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

4. Korsakov

Korsakov New Builder

Thank you, Mark! The choices are a bit overwhelming for a newcomer. Is there anybody who could advise me which direction to go?
  5. kram242

6. Korsakov

Korsakov New Builder

Thank you, Mark! We're ideally trying to implement a solution enabling WiFi-high speed connectivity (100Mb/s). Would you have any recommendation?
  7. kram242

I am not sure about that Korsakov but would be a really nice board. I will keep looking as well.
    Thanks
  8. kram242

9. The Dude

The Dude Veteran Builder

I've been really pleased with LinuxCNC+TB6560. If you can find a better documented board then get it. Someone mentioned the TB6600 but I have no experience with it. One of the benefits of using LinuxCNC is it is fully featured with things like:
    • Motion control features include: cutter radius and length compensation, path deviation limited to a specified tolerance, lathe threading, synchronized axis motion, adaptive feedrate, operator feed override, and constant velocity control.
    • a realtime motion planning system with look-ahead
    • operation of low-level machine electronics such as sensors and motor drives
    • Open source and free lifetime upgrades
    • Can use cheap joypads as pendants
    • Controllable over a network
    • Lots of spindle control options
    • Lots of touch probe options
    • Tool changer support
    • Camera based edge finder integration
    • Lathe support
    Then you have all these user contributed gui apps written in python that extend the functionality and perform tasks like cutting circles, planing, drill feed&speed calculators, pocketing, text engraving, etc.

There's a Raspberry Pi board($30) and a linuxcnc distro for it. I don't know what motor controller board to use with it.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    kram242 likes this.