Welcome to OpenBuilds Community

Signup today and join in on the fun!

Sketchup Help

Discussion in 'CAD' started by bobt, Dec 22, 2013.

1. bobt

bobt Journeyman Builder

Mark - I have the Sketchup .skp file from routy CNC machine. When I go into the design it appears that there are major groupings in the drawing. How was this done and how do I reverse it so that I can extract the items to create a master library file of the parts that make up Routy.

Bob
  2. kram242

kram242 OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

Hi @bobt you can double click on them to go deeper into the component/groups or you can right click for the context menu and hit explode down to the ones you want.
    You can also check this resource for easy learning of how SketchUp works. They way I did it was trying to learn 1 tool a night and that helped a lot.
    http://www.sketchup.com/learn
    Hope this helps.
    p.s. remember you can use copy & paste too, so if you find a group that you want a particular part from (like a corner) for instance. You can select it and then click outside the group and paste it on its own.
  3. bobt

bobt Journeyman Builder

Thank you Mark. I will proceed with the videos as you suggested. I want to take the Routy Sketchup diagram and create a library diagram from it that has all the part of the Routy machine so that I can design my machine using the parts from the Store.

Bob
  4. kram242

kram242 OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

I do plan on having a parts layout for all the parts in SketchUp for the resources, so that way I can add more as we can and it will be an easy way to grab what you need from a single SU file.
  5. Robert Hummel

Robert Hummel Custom Builder Staff Member Builder

I'm trying to Pocket a hole in 3/8 amluminum to a depth that will allow a 608 abec 5 bearing to sit flush. I have tried playing with the setting and can't seem to get the center line tool to cut deeper then 50% the 608s are .27"
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong
  6. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran Builder

Robert, are you using the SketchUcam plugin? If yes, then the way to get a deeper cut is to select the pocket tool and before you use it type the depth of the cut that you want and hit 'enter'. You'll see the value that you entered at the bottom right of the screen, in the input box. You have to hit 'enter' or the value will not be accepted.
  7. Robert Hummel

Robert Hummel Custom Builder Staff Member Builder

Ty that is my standard practice but something funny was happening so I uninstalled and re-installed all software and plugins to have success :)
    Just wouldn't take the new value for some odd reason.
    Ty for the response