Welcome to OpenBuilds Community

Signup today and join in on the fun!

Spool Holder?

Discussion in '3D printers' started by RHightower, Feb 8, 2014.

1. RHightower

RHightower Well-Known Builder

So, saw a new spool holder on youtube (goofy music a head) : and I noticed the spacer looked a little like a vwheel. It isn't used to support, just as a spacer but it got me wondering if you could make a much less fiddly holder from the dual vwheels from openbuilds.
    kram242 likes this.
  2. kram242

kram242 OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

lol that music is a trip! but it you can't help but be happy :D
    I don't see why not, the spool should always seat to the center of the wheels. I also wonder if there is a better way at moving the wing nuts instead of turning them you could just use some type of spring loaded clamp. Squeeze it and slide to position and let go. A lot quicker solution and would not need threaded rod.
  3. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

A very neat idea but I must admit to puzzling about this - why did they not just use an 'A' frame and rod (if necessary, in bearings) through the centre hole of the spool ?

Tweakie.
  4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 Journeyman Builder

Using smooth rods and V-wheels, you wouldn't even need clamps. Just slide the wheels into place like beads on an abacus and drop in the roll. On the odd chance it does walk a little sideways, where's it gonna go.

One thought does occur however, what if the spool thickness is wider than the V? Would it not be easier just to start with idlers?

Imagine a 7 spool setup. If you run a rod through all the centers, it takes a fair amount of effort to replace the center spool. This is a lot easier as a simple drop-in.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  5. kram242

kram242 OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

What if the rods had bearings ends so that the whole rod spins. I think this would be the easiest way. But for dual extruders you would need two setups.
  6. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

Something I had not even considered Rick. I was only really looking at a 2 spool setup. :(

Tweakie.