Welcome to OpenBuilds Community

Signup today and join in on the fun!

V-Slot Lead Screw / ACME Driven Accators

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by kram242, Mar 28, 2014.

1. kram242

kram242 OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

kram242 published a new build:

Read more about this build...
  2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

Excellent - they just are so neat. :thumbsup:

Tweakie.
    kram242 likes this.
  3. kram242

Thanks Tweakie :) I hope it helps to spark ideas for new projects
  4. Will

Will New Builder

Mark,

I need to build a 4-axis foam cutter. I was planning to build something like what you've done here. I want to use ACME 1/2 screws and NEMA23 motors. You have everything needed, but only in NEMA17 size. Any change you can make NEMA23 sized parts? Great site. Great ideas.

Will
  5. kram242

Hi Will thank you and welcome to OpenBuilds :thumbsup:
    I have not posted it as a build yet, but I started a simple two tower hotwire cutter that uses NEMA 17 since there is no real forces for hot wire foam cutting I would think there would be no need for the 23's unless its a very BIG hotwire :)
    But to answer your question, Yes OpenBuilds part store is working into having more NEMA 23 related parts for larger stronger builds.
    Vslot HotWire_2.jpg
  6. Will

Will New Builder

Mark,

Yeah, no doubt NEMA17 is capable of the average foam cutter. I am looking for a 24" x 16" cutting area. I think most people forget that speed is your enemy when it comes to cutting foam...at least to an extent. I will design the parts and pass it on.

Will
  7. kram242

8. Veej

Veej New Builder

9. kram242

Hi @Veej
    Did you download the example model file? That's the best way to get an idea on how you want to start your build. There are many ways to go about making a build like this and the example models should give you a good start.
    Hope this helps
  10. Veej

Veej New Builder

Yes I have and I do like both the approaches; one where the lead screw is from the motor to the other end and one where the lead screw does not go the full length of the V slot rail. The questions is if one is more robust than the other? If it is the first one, will the threaded motor mount plate holding the end of the lead screw come in the way for attaching a perpendicular V slot rail?
    If I follow the second design, this should not be the problem though.
    Just want to be sure before I order parts since this is my first time!
  11. kram242

Hi @Veej
    NP bro this is what its all about :)
    There should be no difference as the robust will come from how well the cart is mounted to the rail not the lead screw. The main advantage of having the bearing plate (threaded rod plate) on the opposite end is for longer runs of the threaded rod so that when turning at high speeds it helps to keep the end from whipping around. on short runs or slower truing machines (hotwire cutter) this will not be an issue. Real world experimentation on what works best for your design is really the best way to see if it will do what you want.
  12. Veej

Veej New Builder

Thank you so much for the clarification. Even though my application does not require fast movement, I think it will be best to go with the full length lead solution. I'll mount the V slot rail that is going to be perpendicular to the mechanism on the back side at the bearing plate end. I believe Universal L brackets should work for a robust mount. If you have other suggestions, please let me know.
    Thanks for all your help.
  13. kram242

Sounds good Veej, if you sketch it up we can all take a look and send some ideas your way for sure :thumbsup: