Welcome to OpenBuilds Community

Signup today and join in on the fun!

OpenBuilds OX CNC Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by kram242, Dec 15, 2013.

1. bobt

bobt Journeyman Builder

I wanted to know because I have been spending a lot of money with Mark. And now I have some idea as to how much he won't get so that I can finish the design. LOL. Every time I turn around Mark has another neat thing in the store and I have to get out the scale and measure gold against want again.

Bob
  2. Mopar32985

Mopar32985 Journeyman Builder

o i hear you man i have almost all the parts and just really waiting on the plates. He is full of great ideas haha. If anyone is interested in some pics feel free to ask and i can post
  3. Mopar32985

This is my first cnc so I have a few questions that some of you guys might be able to help me with.

First off can u guys give me some suggestions on routers that would work good on this build without breaking the bank. The other question I have is about bits. I'm looking to cut mostly wood and materials like G10 and garolite. Also good stores to buy bits from thanks for any help it will be greatly appreciated.
  4. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

For wood the single flute HSS cutters are good but for G10 I use the diamond cut carbide cutters.

Tweakie.
    Mopar32985 likes this.
  5. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran Builder

Two things to mention about this board.
    1) It's unipolar only. Not a big deal to some but can be to other (like me :ROFL:)
    2) No optical coupling. Should be big deal to everyone.
  6. kram242

kram242 OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

OX-Cover-GIF.gif
    Ok guys,
    The OX is complete!!!
    We will continue to work on stocking as many of the parts as possible to make sourcing the parts easy.

Its hard to let go sometimes but I hand the OX over to you guys the open source community to enjoy.

The OpenBuilds OX was built incorporating many idea's freely available though many people that have gone out of their way to bring to the community these ideas though open source in an effort to help create a better free sharing society.
    OpenBuilds team would like to thank those who have made this build possible as well as those here on OpenBuilds who will take the OX build to the next level with their own mods and improvements. Thank You!
    The OX build is completely open source and you are encouraged to share-remix-sell and generally distribute this build to the far corners of the earth and beyond!
    :D
    Have fun make it your own and lets get these out there so that everyone can have a chance to learn and enjoy the fun of CNC machines.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    skarab, bobt, Mopar32985 and 3 others like this.
  7. JustinTime

Most trim routers are a good choice, at least for start. I can not recall if you are in the US but here in the US Harbor Freights has one for about $25 or so, IIRC.

I had bought a few times from this ebay site with good results. http://www.ebay.com/sch/drillman1/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=200
  8. Mopar32985

Thank you for the I put I will pick one up. I'm in the USA and harbor freight is right down the street. It's dangerous in that store go to get one thing and come home with half the store haha.
  9. Mopar32985

My friend has been using his board for years with great results on a hot wire cnc. Could you explain to me what an optical cupling is. Thanks
  10. JustinTime

The optical coupling protects your computer form the board. If the board would send a voltage spike to the computer it will destroy your port or more. Optical coupling makes sure that there is no direct connection between the board and the computer.

If you're going to Harbor Freight use this http://www.dealsoff.com/images/habor-freight-0414.jpg. It will ease the pain some :ROFL:
  11. Mopar32985

Thanks for the clarification man appreciate it. Also good looks on the cup on haha will help a bit
  12. Colin Russon

Colin Russon Journeyman Builder

Congratulations on a truly inspiring product range that just gets better and better.
    Mopar32985 and kram242 like this.
  13. kram242

Thanks Colin :thumbsup:
  14. Frank G Haymes

Frank G Haymes Well-Known Builder

kram242

I down loaded the plates file (DFX).

When I imported them into Sketchup, they are too big. The same thing when I used TurboCad.

What do I need to do to scale them to the proper size.
  15. kram242

They are in mm so make sure that you have that option selected when you import to SketchUp. Once in side you can change over to inches if you like.
    import.JPG
  16. Frank G Haymes

I tried again using Sketchup 8 and the drawing are still to big. The 5mm holes measure 1524.0mm.
  17. kram242

Hmm I just downloaded the DXF and imported it in to SketchUp 7 (I have a DXF/DWG import plug in for that version) and set it millimeters and all went well. At this point I am stumped why its not working
    Below is a screen shot of the import options window
    Capture.JPG
  18. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 Journeyman Builder

Ditto in 7.
    kram242 likes this.
  19. Frank G Haymes

I got it to work. I needed to set the import options to mm.
  20. kram242

Good deal Frank thanks for the update. :thumbsup:
  21. GrandpawB

GrandpawB Journeyman Builder

Thanks Mark for a job well done. The time and effort you put into creating the OX is well appreciated. As an CNC router newbie I am feeling my way around a whole new area and can't wait until I have learned enough to stop asking stupid questions. But until then, here's another one. I have downloaded all the OX files and when I open Sketchup 2013 ( a program I'm having a bit of difficulty mastering. Another million questions there) I see the layout of all the parts. What I don't see is all the dimensions. Is there something else I have to do to maybe un-hide them? Newbies ~ ya gotta love 'em.
    kram242 likes this.
  22. skarab

skarab Veteran Builder

Ok it's decided, my first CNC will be a OX! Thank you very much for your work.
    kram242 likes this.
  23. kram242

Thanks guys :)

@GrandpawB Check out this page on the understanding the SketchUp tool bar
    http://www.sketchup.com/learn/videos?playlist=60
    and have a look at the Dimensioning video
    NOTE: You may have to go full screen on the video to get it to play right. It may just be my video card though.
    Pawlenko M likes this.
  24. GrandpawB

GrandpawB Journeyman Builder

Thank you Mark. Very helpful.:D
  25. kram242

Your more then welcome @GrandpawB these are great videos and the same way I learned to use SketchUp
    Pawlenko M likes this.
  26. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

Start here with the intro video and follow through the rest of them.
    also look over on phlatforum.com for the series of howto videos that show how to use Sketchup + sketchucam to generate effective Gcode
  27. Greenman

Greenman Journeyman Builder

I was watching the build video about installing the lead screw. My question is about the bearings. I was said that they need to seat in the threaded rod plates. The diameter of the recess is 16mm. So the outside diameter of the bearing needs to be 16mm and the inside to match the diameter of the lead screw. I was thinking of using 8mm. Am I correct in my take on this? Thanks
  28. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

Mark, this has been running around my head as a 'want' on my own router, maybe you can figure out how to add this to the OX?
    kram242 likes this.
  29. Mopar32985

Decided to start up the 3D printer and print out the V slot nut block. It turned out great can wait to get started on this build

Attached Files:

30. kram242

@GrandpawB
    yes this is correct. In the video I am using a 6mm acme (because thats what I had on hand) but our plan is to stock 8mm only because for longer runs it will have less whip when turning at high speeds. On short run like the Z axis of the OX 6mm works fine too.
    @David the swarfer Great to talk with you on the CrashCast tonight :) thank you for all your help my friend!
    I have never seen any thing like this before and its exciting to see people coming up with cool ideas like style jig. I think it could be done on the ox because of the open table design like the legacy machine. I think the also the rotary layout like they are using axis could also be incorporated with little effort using V-Slot. These are exactly the cool mods that I look forward to see being done on the OX as we work as a community to make it the best it can be. Great video thank you for sharing it.
    @Mopar32985
    really nice looking print! My prints never turn out that good :thumbsup: The Z axis is really the heart of the machine so the best thing to keep in mind is to take time to keep everything aligned and tight, as it takes on the most force. I went back and really wrenched down all my wheels and pushed them tight to the rail. this is to ensure that it will stay strong. Don't worry about the wheels being to tight on the rail they will roll when the acme moves them. keep up the good work :)
    David the swarfer likes this.