Welcome to OpenBuilds Community

Signup today and join in on the fun!

OpenBuilds OX CNC Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by kram242, Dec 15, 2013.

1. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Journeyman Builder

No, Sorry I meant is the spindle capable of aluminum machining? Do you use your rc spindle for milling aluminum
  2. Robert Hummel

Robert Hummel Custom Builder Staff Member Builder

Oh! Lol sorry just got up to a bunch of updates and pms
    Yes I have cut 3/8 aluminum plate as that is how I built my current mill.
    I only ever do pass's of 1/64 to avoid chatter.
    With the right bit for the job an RC spindle should last you a while before a simple rebuild would be required "replace bearings and clean"

I now use a 1.5kw spindle for milling parts.

This is what my mill started out as
    image.jpg

I then used it to upgrade itself :)
    This is a pic of parts that where milled with my RC spindle
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    SlyClockWerkz likes this.
  3. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Journeyman Builder

Oh ok. Looks cool! Next question is, is it quieter than a spindle with similar performance? Quietness would be my main quest haha
  4. Robert Hummel

At low RPMs it screams, 10,000 RPM it's tone changes and is a lot easier on the ears.
    See my video in the build log for an idea
  5. Robert Hummel

@bhalkett @Jestah
    Your orders have shipped and a pm has been sent Ty and let me know when they arrive
    Jestah likes this.
  6. bhalkett

bhalkett Well-Known Builder

I'm playing around with a few different 3d printed carriers right now. I may go that way just because I can. Well see...

7. Karl Miller

Karl Miller New Builder

@kram242, or anyone else, if I were to swap out the v-slot for beefier 80/20 X and Y axis (with openbuild's linear rails), could I use the OX AI plates and create an 4x8 building with the same steppers that would allow me to double up the build for use as a plasma cutter and router cnc?
    (I know that the base would need some redesign for the slats, etc.)
    I guess I am asking about the compatability of the plate's holes and whether a 8' Y and 4' X would support the weight with out sagging and still offer precision wood and aluminum cuts?
    Thanks,
    Karl Miller
  8. kram242

kram242 OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

Hello @Karl Miller,
    The OpenRails plates hole pattern would not be the same as the V-Slots since the OpenRail bolts to extrusion and the 'V portion of the rails sits on the outside edge of the extrusion. You would need to make a plate with a wider hole pattern to achieve this.
    You can check out the example models here (Green download model button in OpenRail description) to get an idea of where the hole spacing would be for the OpenRail and the extrusion you are looking to use.
    Hope this helps
    Mark
  9. oni305

oni305 Veteran Builder

Hi @kram242,
    I'd like to build a large OX 1mx1,5m but it seems that all the 20x80 x1,5m in the world is OutOfStock...
    Can you give an estimation on when it will be sold again?
  10. kram242

Hello @oni305
    A lot of OpenBuilds distributors should be receiving their shipments soon so you should see it popping up to (hopefully) a town near you. If not we will have some shortly as well.
    Thanks
    Mark
  11. Woodie49

Woodie49 Journeyman Builder

Any Photos or drawing on how the diffance axis are driven?
    Thanks
  12. kram242

13. MechEng

MechEng Well-Known Builder

Hello all,

So I'm finally getting around to putting together a few sub-assemblies on the OX, and I noticed on the aluminum plates that the holes the stepper motor shafts pass through aren't wide enough to seat the circular protrusion on the stepper motor, and they also aren't wide enough to pass a GT3 pulley through.

Just curious if anyone knows what the holes are sized for. A GT2 pulley perhaps? Was kind of bummed out that a nema 23 stepper won't seat in the hole as I thought they would.
  14. Robert Hummel

They are all like that, Mark uses spacers to seat the steppers, I use a full spacer myself.
    The pulley goes onto the shaft after mounting the motor to the plate.
  15. kram242

Hi @MechEng
    You should see the motors are using 1/8" aluminum spacers as stand offs to keep the stepper 'lip' off of the plate.
    As for the hole not wide enough to put the GT3 pulley though, you add the pulley to the shaft once the motor is mounted to the plate.
    I hope I covered this in the build videos? I will need to go back and check, as its been a little while since I have seen them.
    Hope this helps out
    Mark
  16. kram242

Whoops looks like Robert and I were both typing at the same time :D
    Thanks Robert :thumbsup:
    Robert Hummel likes this.
  17. Woodie49

Woodie49 Journeyman Builder

Boy, I wish I saw this befor I started my cncrouterparts build!
  18. Jay_r

Jay_r Well-Known Builder

Hi all,
    Im busy machining the plates this week. Is there a reason the stepper shouldn't be seated to the plate? My second question is, On the model there are 2 mystery holes (to me) one the side plates. One is on the bottom under the OX logo and the second is to the rear of the stepper. Can I omit them, or do they serve a purpose.
    Thanks,
    Jay
  19. MechEng

MechEng Well-Known Builder

I suppose my question wasn't clear?
    I didn't ask how to attach a stepper motor to the plate. I asked what the hole in the plates was sized for. Any generic nema23 stepper mounting plate geometry is designed for the protrusion on stepper motor to seat into the mounting plate, and the OX plates don't do that, hence my curiosity as to why the OX plates strayed from conventional motor mounting geometry.
    Jestah likes this.
  20. Greenman

Greenman Journeyman Builder

Hi- I am a distributor and I finally have my web store up and I am adding parts daily. I have 20x80mm x 1500mm I received today please check out my web site www.opensourceluthiersupply.com. Thanks Bill
  21. jdcncjunky

jdcncjunky New Builder

I'm new to all this CNC, but I've got the bug bad to build one or two or three. Am I wrong in thinking that if the framework of any CNC were build in the standard OX model. could we just build a custom X plate with setups for say, one with router cutter, one with laser cutter, one with pulled knife and one with a extruder for a 3d printer? Couldn't we have just one bed and multiple interchangeable Head units and have all the love and joy of every type of CNC in one system? Call me crazy, but in my minds eye, I can see it. and I like it. What would be the drawbacks to trying something like this? or has it been tried or completed before? If not, I can easily see my garage with 3 or 4 CNC systems and a couple 3D printers
  22. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team Staff Member Builder

Hi @jdcncjunky,

No reason at all that you cannot have interchangeable heads for the various functions that you suggest. That's exactly what I do, albeit different construction of machine, and the principle works extremely well. ;)

Tweakie.
  23. TahoeTim

TahoeTim Well-Known Builder

It can be done but the changeover to a 3d printer isn't as easy as you think. My 3d printer has a heated bed that is elevated by springs. I have to zero it often. Besides I would hate to cut into my heated bed accidentally. You could make an interchangable bed and head system. I am building mine with a smoothieboard that I got on kickstarter. It has 5 drives plus a big circuit to run a heated bed. Since I already have a 3d printer, I can experiment later. I bought a twin filament head to play with. My v rail is being delivered tomorrow so I will be building my ox this weekend.
  24. Wojtek

Wojtek Journeyman Builder

Is it possible to enlarge this to 1500 by 1500mm and also how hard will it be to make (will it be good as a first build)
  25. kram242

You could always upgrade it to a larger size after you build it an use it for a while. That's one of the nice things about the OX :thumbsup:
    Have fun with your build :)
  26. Chris Laidlaw

Chris Laidlaw Well-Known Builder

Has anyone tried Nema 23 motors on their OX CNC? I am wondering if the mounting holes are the same and if the OX can support the 270 oz of the Nema 23 versus the 179 oz of the standard Nema 17. Also, can a Nema 23 be used as the spindle too?
    Thanks.
  27. oni305

oni305 Veteran Builder

I'm so exited, @kram242 tomorrow (or Mondays) i'll pay for the order ( thanks again ;) )
    I'll hope to start soon the assembly of my own OX
    [i'm excited like a little girl when see a pony :D]
  28. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran Builder

You can substitute Nema 23 for the Nema 17 and it has been done. The holes, though, do not match.

I don't think that a stepper could be used efficiently as a spindle but try it out and let us know what you find. :D Heck, that's what it is all about, experimenting. I did it when I made my spindle from a outrunner motor.
  29. steelspinner

steelspinner Well-Known Builder

A stepper makes an ok, but inefficient spindle. It has plenty of torque at low speeds but tapers off pretty quickly. About about 400 to 600 rpm (larger motors less) torque goes almost to zero. The motor cogging would also be a problem with surface finish. You can source brushless (BLDC) motors in the same package size (Nema 23/34) for about the same price as a decent stepper. They DO make excellent spindles. They do require a special driver to run.
  30. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 Journeyman Builder

There's a kickstarter project right now that is using a brushless DC in a NEMA package. It also notes the need for a special driver board to run.

[​IMG]